July 2, 2010

Facebook Breaks Its Own Privacy Rules



I have public search disabled on my Facebook account. Facebook is for my friends and I to keep in touch, not for strangers, stalkers, and marketers to search for my name and find me.

However, as you can clearly see from the image, my name and facebook page appears in the first page of Google results for my name -- on FACEBOOK JAPAN.

I have never been to Japan, I do not speak Japanese, and I 100% surely have never been on facebook.jp. Also, Boulder, CO is not in Japan. This appears to be a clear violation of Facebook's own privacy policy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wondered why I can't find you.. You may know me or I may have the wrong person entirely. Your name pops into my head often along with memories of chats on irc long since forgotten.

If you read this and think you might know me too...then..ok.

-RC3-
from efnet irc circa ~1998-2000

Dusty O'Connell said...

Ok, old younger Dusty. Now you (I?) do speak a little Japanese, and can read it, too.

One thing you can take away happily from your otherwise general person failure.